Friday, January 21, 2005

Weekend Reflection - Part 1 - God's Will

Over this weekend chalet, there was time to get away from it all and to reflect, many thoughts came to mind, which were all somehow related, yet different. To make it easier to read, there are 3 parts to it: Gods Will, Creation, What are we doing.

The first part is called God's Will, because as I was packing my stuff, I was switching channels, and I reached the MTV channel, which I would normally bypass because of all the trash they show these days, when I heard the words 'I've been searchin, praying'. So I stopped switching channels. (of course partly becos the singers voice was sweet and the tune was slow and soothing)

Anyway, after that came the words 'God's Will'. And of course this intrigued me, as I also try to search for God's Will for me. but it so happened to be the end of the song. So I went online, to search for the lyrics of the song. And it provided an interesting view of God's Will.

I met God's Will on a Halloween night
He was dressed as a bag of leaves
It hid the braces on his legs at first

His smile was as bright as the August sun
When he looked at me
As he struggled down the driveway,
It almost made me hurt

Will don't walk too good
Will don't talk too good
He won't do the things that the other kids do,
In our neighborhood

[Chorus:]
I've been searchin', wonderin', thinkin'
Lost and lookin' all my life
I've been wounded, jaded, loved and hated
I've wrestled wrong and right
He was a boy without a father
And his mother's miracle
I've been readin', writin', prayin', fightin'
I guess I would be still
Yeah, that was until
I knew God's Will

Will's mom had to work two jobs
We'd watch him when she had to work late
And we'd all laugh like I hadn't laughed
Since I don't know when

Hey Jude was his favorite song
At dinner he'd ask to pray
And then he'd pray for everybody in the world but him

[Chorus]

Before they moved to California
His mother said, they didn't think he'd live
And she said each day that I have him,
Well it's just another gift
And I never got to tell her,
That the boy showed me the truth
In crayon red, on notebook paper,
He'd written Me and God love you

I've been searchin', prayin', wounded, jaded
I guess I would be still
Yeah that was until...
I met God's Will on a Halloween night
He was dressed as a bag of leaves

God's Will - Martina Mcbride
And after reading the lyrics, and spending time at the chalet thinking of the words over and over again. I came to the conclusion... so often we are like the singer of the song, "searchin', wonderin', thinkin' Lost and lookin' all my life" trying to find this complicated explanation of God, His plan for us, when actually its really simple, and it really brings to life what Jesus meant when he said,
"Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it." (Mk 10:15)
So simple yet as the singer says, we are 'wounded, jaded' by the world around us, that we can't believe that God's Will for us is that simple. And yet this small boy, dispite his physical disabilities, has accepted God's love, and so willing to bring that love to others, praying for all except himself. Compared to that post on the msc blog which Tim brought up about praying for ourselves instead of others.

No comments: