Sunday, January 09, 2005

Thy Will Be Done

Today Fr Bill Heng preached a really fiery sermon. He always does.

But one thing which he said really struck me. (Although I can't remember how he linked it with the Baptism) That when Christ prayed, it was always about doing His Father's will. From the finding in the temple, to teaching His disciples to pray, to the garden of Gethsamane. And finally, on the Cross before He died, he said "It Is Accomplished".

Which made me think. My whole life, I always checked myself with "If I die today, am I ready / Holy enough to meet God. But today's sermon, made me think, I should be thinking, "If I die today, would I be able to face God and say 'It is accomplished'."

I won't say it is a sudden realisation, but I guess today's sermon just sparked something. But this idea of doing the Father's will, is something that has been coming up, from reading "Weeds among Wheat - Where Prayer and Action meet" by Thomas Green. And even Ernest's comment that day, that if he dies, he'll go up to God, and say, 'I did the best with what you gave me.'

So, the challenge this year for me, is to continually discern, not only for the future, but even for the present... What His will is for me. And to strive to do it, such that I can say, 'I did the best with what you gave me.'

No comments: