Tuesday, April 07, 2009

4th Last Word of Jesus - ...why have you forsaken me?

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
Mk 15:34
One way of looking at this was that Jesus was reciting the first line of Psalm 22 which contained prophecies that were fulfilled at his passion (the enemies jeering, dividing of clothes and gambling for the tunic). Or that Jesus was experiencing the consequences of our sin, that disconnectedness with God, that he took upon himself willingly, and so he was voicing out the anguish that he was feeling with the words from the psalm.

As I reflected on the word forsaken, and I looked at my life, I don't think that I have ever done what Jesus did. In times when I'm down, I seldom turn to God until I'm really desperate. I can't say that I've ask God why has he forsaken me because I know its always I who have forsaken him first. It shows the shallowness of my faith and relationship with God.

In my first year of seminary, I read a few books by the Jesuit priest, Fr Thomas Green, on prayer and the deepening of our relationship with God. I wrote a few reflections on my blog on what I had learnt. In one that I wrote in lent 4 yrs ago, I wrote about what spiritual consolation and desolation was. And my second last paragraph, I said that I had not experienced full desolation yet, concluding that I'm not holy enough. Maybe now still not holy.

Read the post if you are wondering why holiness leads to desolation (a sense of abandonment by God). St John of the Cross calls it the Dark Night of the Soul. While deepening of spiritual life one will encounter spiritual dryness, desolation. Mother Teresa went through years of desolation, as revealed in the recent book "Come Be My Light". When the book was published, it sparked off many comments from the secular world, that she didn't believe in God, that she was a hypocrite professing a faith in a God she didn't believe in. But this spiritual desolation is not something that the world will understand. Even most Catholics do not know or understand that there is such a thing or that it exists.

Luckily God only allows it to happen to those who he knows are strong enough to perservere through it, and those who are willing to lay down their lives for him. It is a means through which God purifies our soul, to love him as he loved us. A test of our faith, whether we will still be faithful to seek him even if we do not have the good feeling that spiritual consolation brings. It brings to mind the faith that Abraham had. He was probably in highest consolation when God granted him a son in his old age. But what must have gone through when God asked him to sacrifice that same son.

In my younger days, I remember borrowing a question and answer book from the church library that had this question - "What if I scold God?". I remember that the answer started by saying that its ok, because at least you still have a relationship with God, that you still believe in him enough to expect something from him, and that you can get angry with him.

On a final note, I realised that I haven't reached a familiarity with the scriptures to be able use it in my prayer with God. I am probably like the bystanders who didn't know their psalms enough to recognise what it was. And that the last part of the psalm praises and glorifies God for the deliverance that he has granted.

The 5th Word for tomorrow's reflection is
"I Thirst"
Jn 19:28

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post.... it spoke deeply to me!

The period leading up to Lent and the 1st week of Lent was marked by a real presence of God, where there was an unquenchable fervor due to His consolation. Was doing Lauds and Compline religiously and the Psalms spoke to my soul and God's voice was crystal clear.

But as Lent progressed, everything went to crap - my language; thoughts; actions. There was a dryness that I couldnt explain. I broke off from Lauds and Compline....

I tried to restart my Lauds and Compline but every WORD in the Psalm was like a huge boulder that I needed to push.... there were times when I persevered, mostly I gave up....

God has been very merciful as well. He prompted me to drive to IHM last Friday afternoon and sought out Fr Luke for confession. I left feeling still desolate, but peaceful - peacefully desolate (oxymoron?!)

Your post also prompted me to check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Night_of_the_Soul

Maybe your post is God's way of telling me I should be privileged to feel the desolation.... as this is what Jesus felt (although I cannot fathom His desolation that he started sweating blood....)

It's 48hrs to the Lord's Passion.... and as Mother Teresa said "God did not call us to be successful. He called us to be faithful"

I am praying and struggling to remain faithful....