Monday, May 08, 2006

Selling Our Soul to God

Got this from CowPi's Blog. And I think it's a really wonderful way of explaining what I mentioned some posts ago about losing God to find God. Here God is inviting us, to release ownership of our lives, to sell it to him. Come to think of it, we always talk about people selling their souls to the Devil, how come never thought about selling our soul to God. I guess it really stems from our fear of losing ourselves in that process. But as in the poem, we can't understand how by selling it, we are actually gaining more, and not be kicked out of the house. Wah the more reflect on this poem... the more it strikes me. So many reflection points, God's desire for us, His patience, His promises, our fears and attachments, our slow journey of releasing ourselves, God wanting us to trust Him...

"Covenant" by Sr. Margaret Halaska
The Father knocks at my door, seeking a home for his son:

Rent is cheap, I say.

I don’t want to rent.
I want to buy, says God.

I’m not sure I want to sell,
but you might come in to look around.

I think I will, says God.

I might let you have a room or two.

I like it, says God. I’ll take the two.
You might decide to give me more some day.
I can wait, says God.

I’d like to give you more,
but it’s a bit difficult.
I need some space for me.

I know, says God, but I’ll wait.
I like what I see.

Hm, maybe I can let you have another room.
I really don’t need that much.

Thanks, says God, I’ll take it.
I like what I see.

I’d like to give you the whole house,
but I’m not sure—

Think on it, says God.
I wouldn’t put you out.
Your house would be mine and my son would live in it.
You’d have more space than you’d ever had before.

I don’t understand at all.

I know, says God, but I can’t tell you about that.
You’ll have to discover it for yourself.
That can only happen if you let him have the whole house.

A bit risky, I say.

Yes, says God, but try me.

I’m not sure—
I’ll let you know.

I can wait, says God.
I like what I see.

— Sr. Margaret Halaska

1 comment:

neko said...

the thot of visiting your blog came to mind tis morning. Thinking what spritual thots you might have posted recently. Selling our soul to God left an impression, it was similar to what David Ravenhill shared in his open meeting last night. He shared bout the Cross. Well, we've all heard bout the Cross. How He died on the Cross for us. How receiving Christ would bring peace. Remove troubles. Get you into heaven. Eternal lease of some mansion on some street in heaven. And many people just couldn't move on from the "us". Christianity became a "me" thing more than anything else. The trinity became me, me and me. Bless ME. Bless ME!!!God became a spiritual ATM. And it is so true. I may have been guilty of it some time in my life, just as you spoke of it in the blog, "Sorry is the hardest word to say". Some time, some where. Yet, is this why Christ came to die? Did Father sent His Son down to die in such a painful way just to bless the so many me-s in the world? Is that the right conception of the Cross? He died to accomplish the will of the Father. He died to reconcile us back to the Father. In short,He died for the Father, not for us. David brought us back to Genesis 2, where God's will for man first began. He created Adam, took him and placed him in the garden of Eden, gave him authority over all creatures that he may have dominion over them. Most importantly, God wanted the companionship of man.God positioned man, man didn't choose. God could fellowship with man coz man was sinless. But since the day that Adam fell, man was filled with sin and man rebelled against God. Man became so wicked. Man beyond all forms of redemption except that God Himself had to come and die to redeem mankind. So where is all these leading to? Well, since the day He redeemed us, we're no longer our own. We were redeemed, purchase, bought with the blood of Christ. No longer do we belong to ourselves but to God. We went back to the roots that all things were created by Him, through Him and for Him. We were created for Him. There's no part of us which we can call our own the very day we accepted the Lord Jesus as our Savior. He bought, redeemed, purchased not our sins but us. But as Christians, are we still living a life of self or a life of selflessness unto the Lord? Are we withholding the liberty that the Lord has given to us to worship Him? Are we giving Him our all or are we retaining rooms in our hearts? Are we like the owner who says "it's a bit risky" when told he would have more space than he would ever had if he gave up the whole house. We dare not take risk. What risk are we talking bout? Is it the few less identified risk like leaving job, leaving family to join the seminary? I'm still amazed at how you did it. To even consider signing up for a 6 months school of leadership course already gives me the headache. I start thinking of how to pay the bills. Take care of the family. Pay the housing loan. I start worrying bout all the financial aspects and stuff. And that is when the next opening is not due till another 11 months time. And God asked me, you can't even give me 6 months of your time in the 6 years of your walk with Me? Am I ready to take on this risk? I start worrying bout work. Can they find someone to replace me should I take up the challenge that God put across to me? Maybe that's why the thot of visiting your blog came to mind. I came to read this poem. And I came to unload what's on my mind. We weren't saved by our merits, talents or potentials. We were saved by our very being. By who God created long before we were even concevied in our mother's womb. And how is it that we still can't live an abandoned life to Him? Sigh....more than just to talk about it, it's time to walk the talk. Hope you're having a wonderful time with Him. Things ae happening all over the world. God is moving. Really moving. Glory is coming upon the earth soon. If I could, would really love to pass this booklet to you that speaks on the reformation and things that are happening and going to happen. It really makes me excited and stirs me up to get prepared. For the Lord is indeed coming. In the days of Paul and Peter, they always say the time is near, the harvest is white. And we're really living in that time that they called is near. Everyone, priests ,pastors or layman, young and old, man and woman, we gotta start getting prepared. The river is flowing. The glory is coming. Amen.