Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Technical Support

Most of us would have come across some hilarious anecdotes of the wierd questions tech support guys have to answer, where the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair(PLBKAC). I never expected it to happen to me.

Episode 1: Customer calls saying "My computer hung and is in safe mode. I need it desperately to do my assignment." So ok, I go down to the house. And I find the computer still in safe mode, and hung. Then it dawns on me, that she never even tried to reboot the system. So I power down, and turn it back on, and the system works fine. But not nice to charge her the service call fee, just to switch off and on the computer. So I helped her clean up the spyware in the comp which might have been the cause of the system hanging.

Episode 2: Customer calls saying
"Hi, I bought a computer from your company a year ago. Could you help me with this. My monitor has turned dark."
So I ask, "dark as in just a black screen?",
"No I can still see the display, just that its very dark."
"Have you tried adjusting the brightness?"
"Yah, I pressed the brightness button, and I see 0 to 100%, its now 13%, but i can't increase it, I press the other buttons but it doesn't change"
"Is there a dial that you can turn."
Sounds of delight "Oh yes, thank you."

Not sure why I'm putting this in my "Sprirtual Journal", I probably could use the second story to illustrate some Gospel message on blindness or needing the help of others. But other than that, it's just for entertainment value.

Oh yah, maybe its also to remember the time when I asked the stupid question. "Catholics go to church on sunday because that's the only day that everybody doesn't work right?"

No comments: