Wednesday, November 23, 2005

"Guan Xi"

"Guan Xi", a Chinese word that literally means relations. But as most of us know that in the business sense, it goes way deeper than that. Especially with the chinese (from china). But it also happens here in singapore. An incident happened recently that made me think about it, thus this post.

In a pure sense, "Guan Xi" is about a personal relationship that is attached to a business deal. It is one based on trust, mutuality and even protection of each others interests. Benefits are that once "Guan Xi" is established, u enjoy better deals, the other party is willing to assist u when u have difficulty, they might even give u the deal despite someone else offering them more money.

But then "Guan Xi" can also be abused, leading to things like favouritism, nepotism and blindness to new opportunities. Ok, maybe I should explain what happened to me. I've taken over this IT job from another guy. And he used to get computers assembled by a certain store in sim lim. So when I took over I just assumed that we could still get from the same supplier. But yesterday when I tried to place an order for another comp, the guy said, "I'm sorry, we can't supply you the comp." And when I asked why, he just said, "Something happened which I can't say." Which was a nice way of saying "Take your business somewhere else".

My conclusion is that they had a "deal" with my ex-colleague, and now that he's gone, the "Guan Xi" isn't there anymore. So here I am, stuck... price quoted to customer already, so means still have to get a comp. Just that dun have the luxury of placing the order by phone and just collecting from sim lim. Now have to go there in person, choose the parts, pay the money and wait 1 hr to collect the comp.

So back to my reflection... Is this "Guan Xi" the right way to work? And does it happen in the church? It's so natural to rely on people we can trust, and also to be wary to others who haven't gained our trust just to protect ourselves. And sometimes we are prejudiced against someone even before we get the chance to know the person, just based on their looks, their behaviour, or worst from the words of others. Hmm...maybe I'm a victim of racism...Think i'll go and buy from one of the shops owned by indians.

I guess my conclusion is that "Guan Xi" in the way that the Mainland Chinese work is wrong, because it has taken relationships and perverted it to one where has to bootlick/buy their way into favour. Or at least it's not the way Christians should work. Does it happen in the church? Well probably..at least in the local church since we all have some of this typical chinese traits. Me not so much since 3/4 only...but something to be aware of. To treasure relationships built on trust, but to also be open to new opportunities, to not have prejudicial assumptions of others and also most importantly to be open to dialog....Not sure where the last one came from in this thought process, but yah tat's really important to clear up misunderstandings and to build better working relationships.

And just after I finished typing the above, and walked out of the room, I saw this scene...One of the youths talking to a senior leader of the parish, about the use of the PA system in the hall. (The following words are not exact, but the meaning somewhere there) "You all know how to use the system?", "Yes uncle, we had 3 of our members trained LAST NIGHT." And I couldn't believe the reply. "Trained doesn't mean know how to use". Brilliant right.

Ironically, I've never had any official training, but yet they trust me with it. Classic "Guan Xi" in action. Must understand their position... probably had some bad experience with the sound equipment before. But the youths think it's because they are youths...So told them they have to start earning the trust of the adults...but aiyah.... this is exactly what I'm talking about.....shouldn't be this way.

No comments: