Sunday, January 14, 2007

Fr Chris Soh, WYD '08

Now I know why my friend asked me about the wedding at Cana. Anyway I just found out that Fr Christopher Soh, S.J. has a blog which he puts up reflections on the daily readings. And I found the one on today's readings to be very good. Fr Chris is a very good preacher, and it was a joy to listen to his homilies. I can still remember the homily he preached on the Feast of the Archangels, when I was doing my 8-day retreat in 2005.

Another event that has been building up excitement is the World Youth Day in Sydney in July 2008. It is almost exactly 1.5 yrs away, or as the website says 547 days to go.

Some interesting information I found on the website

  1. Dates : 14-20 July 2008
  2. Venue : Sydney (duh!)
  3. The basic tenets of World Youth Day are:
    • An expression of the universal Church
    • An instrument of evangelization of the young
    • An 'Epiphany' of the youth of the Church
    • An effective sign of ecclesial union
    • A pilgrimage of faith, both spiritually and practically
  4. Costs of the WYD packages can be found here.
    They range from A$175 - A$395(excluding airfare)
  5. If you don't want to pay, you can sign up as a volunteer, which could be an interesting experience by itself.
  6. For a more enriching experience, there is the "Days in the Diocese" event which takes place in the dioceses around Sydney from 10-14 Jul. This is where you can spend time in one of the dioceses, and take part in special activities that they organise before everyone makes their way to Sydney. I wouldn't mind going for the Melbourne one.
  7. You can listen to Fr Roderick's Podcasts live from WYD '05 in Cologne, Germany.
Personally, I had a wonderful experience in Manila, Philippines on 1995, and I believe Sydney would be a greater one, because of the change in my own faith life and this whole idea of being part of a universal Church. Hope to see you there.

No comments: