Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Nature

For Speech class on wednesday, we have to prepare 2 sharings, one from our daily meditations, and the other on adapting to life in the seminary. And as I was thinking about what I enjoy about life here, one thing that comes to mind is the natural surroundings all around. The peace and quiet that we enjoy here, the fresh air (although like one brother said, we are near the malaysian industrial area just across the straits, and the air can be quite polluted). But not only that, I guess for me, the "wildlife" in this area, really brings me joy.

In the seminary the rooms macam hotel, have sea view on one side, and jungle view on the other. I've got the jungle view this year. And on one of the first few mornings here, I looked out of my room, and saw a Brahminy Kite (something like an eagle) circling over the trees. I was so fascinated by it, that I just stood there staring. By the time it dawned on me to get my camera, it disappeared. And then there's a resident squirrel which I have seen a few times that comes to eat the fruit of the palm trees. There's also the woodpecker, which sometimes flies to the classroom window, and can always hear it in the mornings, hammering away.

Just as I'm typing this a tiny grasshopper has come to pay me a visit, it's hanging on the wiremesh door leading to the balcony. Which reminds me, quite a few mornings during morning prayer, I see this same solitary ant, scuttling around my kneeler. As if it knows that it's time for morning prayer too.

Actually what made me think about all this, was the discovery yesterday of 4 small baby animals outside the library. At first I thought that they were baby rats, but somehow the shape a bit wierd. Then thought that might be puppies, but wondered how the dog came upstairs. Then realised that it must be kittens. Small furless things, one died, don't think the others will survive....Not sure if the mother cat is looking after them.

Now the only thing I want to see is a snake. According to the seniors, its quite common, just last year there was a python. Anyway, seeing all this animals and the nature, helps remind me of God's wonderful creation, although not all my brothers share my same sentiment I think. Hmm...maybe I'm franciscan ;Þ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it?
You think your calling is to be a Franciscan?
Come join us!!!
I have long heard about u, and your friends, Jude and Sam!
Oh my get them to all come.
You can look for me at St Mary of the Angels!
We have a pool! And water is from nature!
Also, you can visit our website at www.jointheswimmers.franciscans.com or email me at hahaahhaha@iamjoking.com

Taek care bro!
*ay***d

Reenie said...

no prices for guessing who that was....anyway, you do sound like a little saint francis of assissi haha. keeping you in our prayers always! =)