Monday, August 08, 2005

Eventful Weekend - Part 1

The last 3 days was rather interesting.

Friday

In the eveing I went to Holy Cross church, to attend my first ever (and I hope last ever)Tridentine mass. If I were only to say anything good that I felt, is that I thank God that Vatican II took place, and the mass is what it is today.
I shall just list some things to get them off my chest.
  1. The priest's vestments really make him look like emperor palpatine from starwars.

  2. Doesn't help in that imagery when he speaks like he's from another planet.

  3. I know which choir to get to sing at my funeral to give it a solemn mood. (They stretched the 'o' syllable in one word so long that it took two breaths to get over it)

  4. On second thought, I hope my funeral would be a celebration of me going to heaven, not mourning the lost of my soul to hell.

  5. The setting of the mass, seemed like the priest was celebrating it privately, and we were just spectators.

  6. Not only because its in latin, but because most of the mass is said silently by him, with minimal responses by the congregation.

  7. The priest either speaks latin really fast(which defeats the purpose of the mass being solemn and sacred), or he skips some of the parts in the book.

  8. I think he just speaks latin fast, because when he gave us communion, he supposed to say "Corpus Domini nostri Jesu Christi custodiat animam tuam in vitam aeternam. Amen." But he sounded like Harry Potter speaking parseltongue, cos he managed to say the whole thing in 1 second.

  9. I really couldn't see the grandeur that this mass suppose to bring. Maybe because the choir wasn't used to the style of singing, maybe because the congregation didn't know when to stand/kneel/sit, maybe because I treated it as part of the Vatican Art Museum package : Something old, to remember our history.
Well looks like too much on that one event, will write about the other 2 days in the next post.

No comments: