Tuesday, June 28, 2005

What if only ONE can be found?

I was reading a post of Gerry's blog, about Abraham pleading with God, for the sake of the innocent people in Sodom. And it really struck me.

What if Abraham had continued to bargain with God? But as I read through the passage again, I found it funny that it said

"The LORD departed as soon as he had finished speaking with Abraham, and Abraham returned home." Gen 18:33
It was as if God didn't want to give Abraham any more chance to bargain down.

On a more serious note, I was reflecting...on this whole notion of ONE, "What if only ONE can be found?" Gerry wrote that if it was only for ME, ONE person, Jesus would still have pleaded, and God would not have destroyed.

But for me, that ONE person wouldn't be ME, I will be part of those in sodom, and I can just see Jesus, pleading with the Father, "What if only ONE can be found?" And the Father answered, "I will not destroy it", and the Christ answers, "I am the ONE."

devilAnd this image comes to mind, the one from "The Passion of the Christ", where the devil comes out to tempt Jesus in the Garden of Gethsamane. I can't remember the exact words, and I can't find my Pasion VCD to check. But it was something like "the weight of the sin of the world is too much for ONE man to bear." And that is for me the best revelation that I've got out of that passage linking the old & new testaments. Better than the one of Isaac carrying the wood up the mountain for the sacrifice, better than Moses with his arms outstretched during battle.

Dunno why today seem to have a lot of images in mind. The last one, is inspired by a verse in one of the new testament letters. Through one man's disobedience we have death, but through another's obedience we have salvation. And I'm just thinking of the judgement day... and the only ONE person fit enough to go to heaven is Christ. And I better be clinging on to Him at that time, if not I won't be going up with Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Terence :)

Yah, not sure if I get you or you get me... ;p yup, precisely i mean that even if there is this ONE person to be saved, I feel that Jesus would still have died to save that ONE person. :)

Gerry
PS. Thanks for reading anyway