Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Stewards of the Mysteries of God

Tues Nite Sharing
Tonite's passage was from 1Cor 4:1-21

The first two verses struck me immediately. The word "Steward" keeps appearing.

Thus should one regard us: as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Now it is of course required of stewards that they be found trustworthy.
(1Cor 4:1-2)
Sunday's Gospel also mentions the "Steward"
And the Lord replied, "Who, then, is the faithful and prudent steward whom the master will put in charge of his servants to distribute the food allowance at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master on arrival finds doing so. Truly, I say to you, he will put him in charge of all his property.
(Luk 12:42-44)
The role of the "Steward" is one who is trusted by the master and put in charge to manage his property. This is futher illustrated in the parable of the talents Mat 25:14-30. Where the 3 stewards were given charge of property by the master.

Celine told me this story which really illustrates the amount of trust our Lord has in us in spreading His Word and building His Kingdom.

When Jesus ascended up to heaven, the angels threw a big party to welcome Him back.

One angel approached Jesus and asked Him, "Lord, now that you have conquered death, what are you going to do next?"

Jesus replied, "Nothing. My disciples are going to spread My Word and bring the people back to My Father."

At this the angel was shocked. "But Lord, that's a bunch of fishermen and a tax collector. One has betrayed you, and another denied you. What if they fail? What is your backup plan?"

To this Jesus said, "I have no other plan."

And this is what has been entrusted to us. The last 2 verses in Matthew tells us what we are supposed to do.
Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.
(Matt 28:19-20)
Now for the scary part. In the second part of sunday's Gospel, it says if the Master comes back and finds the Steward doing his job, he will be rewarded. But "That servant who knew his master's will but did not make preparations nor act in accord with his will shall be beaten severely; and the servant who was ignorant of his master's will but acted in a way deserving of a severe beating shall be beaten only lightly." The same thing applies for the parable of the talents

This brings to my mind a few questions
1) Is Jesus really my Master, Lord of my life and my Saviour?
2) Do I know my Master's will, and what is expected of me?
3) Am I choosing to follow His will?

Will go and think about these questions. then will write the answers in another posting.

No comments: