Saturday, January 15, 2005

Mass for the Tsunami Victims

2 things really disappointed me today.

Firstly, when I saw the attendance today at mass. Quite sad, that many Catholics can't even come together on one evening, to pray for our fellow brothers and sisters who are suffering.
Which got me to think, either we are really indifferent, or the "I already donated money" syndrome, or maybe Catholics don't see the mass as an important form of prayer.

Second thing was that they changed the readings for the mass.
The gospel for the day was supposed to be the one where Jesus healed the paralytic Mk 2:1-12. Personally I felt that was so apt for this situation, where the friends of the paralytic went out of their way to climb the roof just so that that Jesus could heal their friend. And today it could have been used to remind us to be friends to those suffering and in need of Christ's healing power. To go out of our way, out of our comfort, and allow God to use us as his instruments to bring healing and peace in this world.

And I was too caught up with my own thinking, that I can't remember what the actual gospel passage was read, and that there was the reading of the bishop's letter instead of a sermon didn't help me to relate the gospel in anyway.

And then again.... I think i'm becoming a bit too crititcal about such things. Time for a "Pride Check"

No comments: