Friday, May 20, 2005

Reaching for the Invisible God

I'm just started reading this book called Reaching for the Invisible God by Philip Yancey. Yes, he is a protestant writer, and yes, I bought the book because the cover was attractive. But the most important reason was because I bought this book in the Philippines last year, and I was really wanting to improve my relationship with a God that I can't see.

But I never got down to reading it, until now. I took nearly a year to finally finish Purpose Driven Life. Jialat, how to go and study next year.

Anyway, I suck at doing book reviews. So if you expect an objective or informative review of the book, go search amazon.com or something.

Just to share what I've read and reflected so far, we are all physical beings living in material world. And we want God to communicate with us in ways that appeal to our senses.

"We yearn for visibility, hoping to bring the supernatural down to our level of materiality"(pg 29)
No wonder people are always on the look out for miracles. The image of Mary appearing on a piece of toast, Mother Teresa on a cinnamon bun, Jesus on a fence in brisbane. And people will flock just to SEE a sign.

It just brings to mind the song "Down in Adoration Falling" that we sing, and the line that goes
"Faith for all defects supplying, Where the feeble senses fail."
And indeed the 3rd chapter deals with Faith and Doubt.
I shall just end of with a quote. And continue to read the rest of the book.
"without somehow destroying me in the process,
how could God reveal Himself in a way that would leave no room for doubt?
if there were no room for doubt, there would be no room for me."
Frederick Buechner

No comments: