Friday, August 06, 2004

Light and Joy

This is a backdated post... been wanting to post it since fri, but just had too many meetings with the confirmation camp, church opening and the PPC Prep session.

So anyway, the words Light and Joy both kept coming back to me on thursday and fri.

On Thursday, I went for a talk, and the speaker mentioned that we are called to be "light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden." (Matt 5:14) A sign of contradiction in living out the Gospel in our daily lives.

And then Fri was the Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord. The 2nd reading (2 Pt 1:16-19) mentions "a lamp shining in a dark place" and the Gospel Reading (Luk 9:28-36) says that "While he was praying his face changed in appearance and his clothing became dazzling white."

Looking at the meaning of the word "transfiguration"

a. A marked change in form or appearance; a metamorphosis.
b. A change that glorifies or exalts.
Then there is the verse from 2 Cor 3:18, which says
"All of us, gazing with unveiled face on the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, as from the Lord who is the Spirit."
And thus that is what we are all called to do, to allow ourselves to be transformed into the likeness of God. And this is where Joy comes in.

Jude and I followed Fr Brian to the wake of our parishioner who passed away from cancer. And I guess the thing that touched us most was our conversation with the lady's husband. He told us how his wife even though was suffering from cancer, but she was always cheerful. And those who attended the daily morning mass remembered the joy and peace that she seemed to radiate.

This also brought to mind the story Sr Theresa told us that even though she doesn't wear the habit, people she doesn't know would ask her if she was a nun.

And the ultimate story about us radiating Christ's presence in our life would of course be that of our dear Mother Mary. When she visited Elizabeth, even John the Baptist inside her womb was able to sense the presence of God in Our Lady.

And that I guess is my personal challenge. Is Christ really present in my life. Do I feel the joy that He is my Lord and Saviour. And how am I changing or transforming myself to really reflect Christ in my life, such that others will know.

No comments: